Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Reading Notes: SIta Sings the Blues, Part B

File:Agni pariksha.jpg 
 Sita and Fire
File from Agni Pariksha 
Source: Wikipedia

After viewing Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley for Part B, I better understood the Ramayana, and saw a new perspective on the story. I also really enjoyed how there were characters interrupting the story to argue about what actually happened—this gave the story a more in depth look of why Rama, for example, wanted to abandon Sita. Before the audience even had a chance to be angry at such a ridiculous way of treating someone Rama was once in awe for, the argument suggested ideas of why Rama was doing this. After all, he does have the title of “king” to uphold. However, I still did not think it was okay to want Sita to be alone in the middle of nowhere.

There is a portion in Part B of the film where Sita thinks karma is coming back for her. This is something I want to include in my story. Karma is a very important concept to teach and know in the Hindu religion, so it’s something I can play with for my story. After Rama comes back, he asks Sita to prove her purity….again. This time, I was actually angry. I think I can portray my anger for Rama’s actions through karma.

I’m excited to rewrite this story because the elements from the film can be changed up with extra twists and turns, and I can easily add my personal touch of the importance of karma in my story. Sita’s faithfulness for Rama, even after her sons are born is something I would want to include, as well. I feel like Sita is never at peace because Rama keeps “testing” her. I would want her sons to play a bigger role in Rama and Sita’s relationship. I think these are some elements that will make my story different.

Nina Paley. Sita Sings the Blues. Reading Guide B 

No comments:

Post a Comment