Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reading Notes: Dasharatha's Four Sons, Part A

File:Birth of rama.jpg 
Magic Rice
Picture by Unknown

This story definitely reminded me of a fairytale. The special rice is pretty much supposed to be magic, so girls can be able to get pregnant. I know rice is a major part of meals in the Indian culture. There is usually a main course, and then rice is given with some type of curry at the end. Rice is also used in deserts in the Indian culture. I like that food was used in this story to symbolize magic.

I want to include a magical food in my story, but switch the rice to something else. Knowing that food is such a big part of the Indian culture, I want the magic to be represented by food, as well. I know that yogurt and sugar is given to family members and friends before a big event like an interview, exams, etc. Food is also given to the gods while praying, and then distributed as holy food to people. In fact, there is a day dedicated to a god where everyone cooks a bunch of food one day, and then the next day the kitchen is supposed to remain turned off.

I want my story to be orientated around food to represent how important food is in the Indian culture. I want my story to have magic, love, and special powers. I think this will be a very fun story to put my own twist on! There are many ways I can add magical powers. I’m sure giving birth is a magical experience in itself, but adding a little bit more magic to the process would only make it better. I think that’s what I like the most about this story is that having children is so important. I’m excited to write this story, and make it my own with magic! 

Bibliography: Narayan's Ramayana, Reading Guide A 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dhara, I was confused by the Ramayana post here this morning; the idea is to finish up the Mahabharata; you can come back to the Ramayana in the second half of the semester if you want!

    ReplyDelete