Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Reading Notes: Draupadi's Swayamvara, Part A


 File:Arjuna wins Draupadi.jpg
Arjuna and Draupadi
Picture by Unknown
Source: Wikimedia

I thought this story was very interesting. A concept I would like to include in my own version is reincarnation. In a previous lifetime, Draupadi had five husbands, and she has five husbands in a different lifetime after praying about it. I want my main character to fall in love with only one of her five husbands because of the way he is. However, they all have to battle for her true love. I want this to be like a game. This will add action to my own story.

I feel the concept of sharing a woman in the original story was in a way sexist and degrading, so in my story I will Draupadi be extremely powerful. Her five husbands will not know how powerful she is. The only person that will know will be her true love by the end of the story and contest.

I think this will a fun story to write. I also want to include karma in my story. I know karma correlates to reincarnation. For example, if you do not commit any sins, you will reincarnate as a man in your next lifetime—being a boy is a big deal in these stories. I’m looking forward to what I can come up with! 

Bibliography: Narayan's Mahabharata, Reading Guide A



No comments:

Post a Comment