Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Reading Notes: Pattanaik's Calendar Art, Part C (Ardhanari, Shiva)

Shiva meditating Rishikesh.jpg 
Shiva
Picture by Iqbal Mohammed
Source: Wikipedia

Wow, this was definitely an interesting watch. I think the concept of focusing of a form instead of thought is something we tend to do a lot, but forget that thought is sometimes bigger than what is represented. Ardhanari basically means that god is within and does not move. However, a goddess is what is moving. Males are represented with action, and females represented with internal ideas like knowledge and power. I think this is an interesting concept to think about. I could use the idea of the difference between a god and goddesses, and create a story representing these ideas.

I would like to keep materialistic things in my story like plants, but the plants representing something much more valuable than a still object seen with the eye. I feel this will be a great story to really put my imagination to work while representing the true meanings learned from this video.

I want Shiva, the destroyer, to also be in my story. However, I want his character to represent someone that would never destroy anything. I think this will add drama, and a sort of mystery of who the destroyer really was in my story. I look forward to taking my teachings from the video and writing my own story!

Bibliography: Devdutt Pattanaik's Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art

No comments:

Post a Comment