Monday, April 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Pattanaik's Calendar Art: Part E (Vishnu)

CH cow 2 cropped.jpg 
Godaan
Picture by Daniel Schwen
Source: Wikipedia 

This video is explains the concept of cows in the Hindu religion. Eating beef is something that is definitely not allowed. I’ve always wondered what exactly the reasons were behind this, and I feel this video explains in better detail. Cows were a great resource for the gods and goddesses. They allowed them to have shelter, food, wealth, etc. This was done through using their milk for food, skin for accessories, bones for tools, and more. That explains why they were so cherished. Godaan is an interesting topic I want to keep in my story. It’s a charity that could fulfill any need.

Vishnu will be my main character in this story that takes care of the queen cow. I think this will be a really fun story to write because I want the animals to be able to talk to one another in my own story. I want it to be like children’s book. The setting will be at a farm. I want the story to project the meaning behind godaan with unrealistic scenes taking place—like a children’s book. I want to include vivd imagery of the animals, and some dialogue.

This will be a fun topic for me to explore and write about because it’s something I’ve always been interested in, but never got the chance to really look into. This video has definitely helped me a lot in understanding what godaan means, and what is so significant about cows in the Hindu religion.

Bibliography: Devdutt's Pattanaik's Seven Secrets from Hindu Calendar Art



No comments:

Post a Comment