Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Reading Notes: Ahalya, Part B

A painting of a young fair woman clad in a white sari with a red border stands, leaning on a tree, as she moves her left hand through her long black hair and holds a flower basket in her outstretched right hand. 
Ahalya
Picture by Raja Ravi Verma
Source: Wikipedia 

Wow, this was a crazy story to read. There are a lot of things I would like to change in this story. For instance, I would change Indra turning into a stone when her husband finds his wife sleeping with him instead of Ahalya—his wife. It was not Ahalya’s fault she was being mislead by Indra. He disguised himself as her husband. I would like to keep Ahalya’s image as the perfect woman, and make her one of the most powerful goddesses. She will seek a divorce from her husband as revenge for accusing her of cheating.

I think this story provides a lesson for faith and trust. I want to make this the theme for my story. Instead of Ahalya’s husband turning her into a stone, he will ask her for clarification, and why she was sleeping with another man. There will be confrontation between the two characters in my story. I also feel there should be some type of punishment for Indra.

This would be a fun story to recreate with my own thoughts. I feel there is a lot of sexism involved in this story, and fingers being pointed at the woman. I want to make this something to be aware in my own words. 

Bibliography:  Narayana's Ramayana, Reading Guide B

No comments:

Post a Comment