Saturday, March 18, 2017

Week 6 Storytelling: Shantanu and Ganga

Ganga
Picture by Raja Ravi Varma
Source: Wikipedia

Shantanu and Ganga were living their married life to the fullest. They attended lavish parties, ate fancy dinners, drank the most expensive wine. Ganga had long black hair, blue eyes, and a soft smile. Shantanu was in love. She was just so elegant and graceful and had something mysterious about her. He loved that. He couldn’t imagine life without her. That’s why he was wrapped around her finger. He always listened to her. He did everything she said, and he even let her drown their seven beautiful babies. Ganga was pregnant again with a baby girl, but this time Shantanu decided to stop Ganga from killing his babies. He was confused, angry, amazed, and sad. The emotions took over, but he was still hesitant. What was holding him back for so long?
 
He never questioned her. She was powerful, and mysterious. She was magical. He loved her, but enough was enough. He asked his lovely wife why she drowned his sons. He asked why she was about to drown their baby girl. Her answer was simply, “I am not the woman you think I am.” Her hair started to flow into waves. Her arms turned blue. Her face became pale as can be…she turned into water. Shantanu was shock. He looked at what was her wife in amazement. He thought it was a dream. He thought this was not true. Ganga was the Goddess of the river. He had married the river goddess. She took his baby girl, and turned her into water. His baby girl was the princess of the water.

Years and years went by without his wife and his daughter. He waited every day by the river to see if they would ever return. He started to question Ganga, and everything about their marriage. She hid such a big part of her life from him. What else could she be hiding? He wanted answers. He wanted his sons back. Why did she kill them? It made no sense to him. Why did she leave him? All the questions in his head took up his entire life. His emotions turned into one emotion—anger. That was all he felt, and that was all he wanted to feel. He knew he was never going to be the same again because he was traumatized.

One day Shantanu’s servant sat down with him at the river. She knew Shantanu always sat in the same spot, and she knew that. She served him every day. She knew his likes, and dislikes…more than Ganga would ever know. She prayed for his happiness even though she knew that he would never love her the way he loved his first wife—Ganga. Satyavati dreamed this day would come. Satyavati knew he did not love her. He barely looked at her, or noticed her in the years she’s been serving him in his palace. That palace was her home. She knew every little detail, and every little corner as if she created that palace. When everyone was out on dinners and events, she would twirl in the palace as if it were hers. She never lost faith in her love, and she continued to serve her king with an empty hole in her heart that would take years to fill.

He looked at his servant. “She is never coming back, and I will never meet my daughter,” Shantanu said in a low tone.

She looked into his eyes. She saw his pain, and her king suffering. Little did he know, she was in love with him, and she was happy Ganga left him. However, she was sad he was not happy. She said, “My king, you will fall in love again.”

He just stared at her. He thought, “How dare she speak to me, and tell me I will love again.” He stared into the empty water. Old and tired, Shantanu waited every day.

Bibliography: Narayan's Mahabharata, Reading Guide A

Author's Note: 

This story was based off the original story, Shantanu and Ganga. Ganga drowns seven of her children, but when the eight baby came along, Shantanu speaks up. However, Ganga drowns her children to send them to heaven. Her intentions seem good, but the acts behind her intentions are seen as horrifying. I did not want to escape from what actually happened in the story—the babies were drowned. I wanted to include the consequences of that, and I did not want Ganga to be seen as the bad person. However, she leaves Shantanu. I wrote this story to be a story left unanswered. Ganga was fulfilling her duties. I wanted my story to represent how sometimes some things are left unanswered for a reason. I used Shantanu’s character to display this event that I feel like everyone goes through at one point or another. When this type of betrayal happens, people tend to change. Shantanu changed from many emotions to just one. The original story is a bit confusing to understand, but I tried to make mine a little more relatable by adding in emotions. I’m all about happy ending, but I did not think there was a happy ending possible with this type of tragedy. However, there is always something good after something bad. For Shantanu, this was being able to love again, and share this love with Satyavati, which he marries in the original story.

6 comments:

  1. Dhara, I think your story of the relationship between Shantanu and Ganga was wonderfully written. I loved how you described Ganga turning into the water. It was very descriptive and I could picture the whole scenario. I also really enjoyed the internal dialogue of Shantanu. It helped me understand and feel the pain and stress he was experiencing while wondering why his wife had made the decisions she had made. I also loved that he remained loyal to Ganga even though he never saw her again. I’m sure he must have been tempted to give up and leave or love another person but he was stubborn and dedicated to his love he had formed for Ganga and I loved that. I though the temptation of the servant was an interesting twist. I wasn’t sure how he was going to react but I enjoyed how you ended the story. I think you had a very well planned out story and your writing style and dialogue made it a great story and wonderful addition to your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dhara, what a great story! I liked how you described the relationship between Shantanu and Ganga. You can feel how much he loved her even though what she did to their children seemed unforgivable. Your picture depicts that emotion perfectly because you see Shantanu in the background frantically trying to stop Ganga from drowning their kids. It's crazy to think how much he loved her even though she left him. I think that's partially why I was surprised that his servant was in love with him. I think it would be interesting to see you expand on this story. Maybe go on and see if his servant ever professes her feelings towards him or if they ever get together. Because of the caste system in place at this time, I think that would introduce an interesting dynamic into your story. I noticed a few grammatical in your story, but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dhara, I really enjoyed this story! I liked how you made the emotions felt between the characters relatable. Obviously the actions and events occurring in this story aren't ones we are familiar with, but the conflict between a man and a woman who love each other (or don't) is something we can relate to! It's cool when a reader can make that connection to the characters! It made me want to keep reading. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dhara! Great story! The first thing I noticed about your portfolio was that your blurbs are pretty short and they don’t really give me an idea of what your story is going to be about. They are supposed to pull the reader in and make them want to read it. Also, you might want to rethink writing, “this is my version of…” for every story. Since they are short blurbs, it seems pretty repetitive! That is just an idea though! I think you did a wonderful job recreating this story! The dialogue at the end is really attention grabbing and really pulls everything together. I think you author’s note is good too! Since I have never read the original story, your author’s note really helped me understand the original story to better understand your story as well! I also like your layout. It is very fitting and sets the mood for your stories! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It appears that your portfolio index didn't get shifted to the top after you created this story! No big deal- just for your information. I'm in the Myth Folklore class this semester and we have the option of looking at Indian Epics portfolios this week! I took Epics last semester so I have actually read your source story! The third paragraph really speaks to me and my own writing. The innermost thoughts of the characters and exactly what they think and how they feel about everything that they're going through really makes a character human. The story left unanswered is a really great concept. I think more details in this story would make it even better. I think the third paragraph, as I mentioned, is a great starting place and you can elaborate on the other thoughts these people must be having from there. I really enjoyed your story and hope I can read more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dhara, I am confused at how your story is different than the original? I honestly felt like I was rereading the original story. What if in your story you had Ganga tell Shantanu that she was the Goddess of the River and they stayed together? That’d be an interesting story to read. What if you even have the daughter grow up with Shantanu so he can finally have a child to hold and love. You said you like stories with happy endings, I think that would be a happy story. Or what if Ganga still left but she answered all his questions and left their daughter with him? Hopefully he wouldn’t live a sad angry life then. Also, something that I noticed was in your Portfolio I didn’t really know which story to read. I think this was because there wasn’t much written describing the stories. Maybe that is something you could work on moving on in the semester? I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete