Sunday, January 29, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

Feedback
Picture by L Harmer Photography 
Source: Flickr
 
These two articles listed above made me think about what feedback really means for the long-term. "5 Tips for Taking Feedback Like a Champ" mentions the emotional part of getting feedback. I feel a lot of us, including myself, are sensitive to receiving feedback because we may have put in a lot of time, effort, and thought to something before it was given feedback. One of the five areas listed was to "remind yourself that having growth areas is a good thing..." This portion of the article explains that there is always room for improvement. "Using Harsh Feedback to Fuel Your Career" was a good read for me because it reminded me that I need people in my life to give me negative feedback even if that means the feedback is not going to be something nice. At the end of the day, it is for my own good. Both these strategies from the two articles will help me better myself, and grow in areas I may not even know until given feedback.  


Giving feedback can be fun because you get to be on the other side of receiving and giving feedback. However, it's important to remember how you would want someone to give you feedback. I enjoyed reading both these articles because they both had good advice on how to give feedback. "Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback" made giving feedback seem like a fun activity by almost giving suggestions rather then pointing out the flaws. Lets face it, being told we're wrong is just something none of us want to hear. I like the idea of giving someone ideas to better certain areas rather than pointing where and how he/she was wrong. "The Difference Between Praise That Promotes Narcissism Vs. Healthy Self-Esteem" had a very good point on how to give feedback. Something I took away from the article was that sometimes telling someone they are excellent is worse than possibly mentioning that he/she put a lot of effort into the work. This could be the biggest difference between possibly making a child become a narcissist, and feeding a child's self-esteem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment