Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Ravana's Sister, Part B


The humiliation of Shurpanakha 
Shurpanakha
Picture by Mackenzie, Donald Alexander
Source: Wikipedia

I enjoyed reading the desperate character of Shurpanakha. I found this character to be the most interesting to read about in this story because she has no standards for herself, and it was sad to see this portrayed in the story. She left no room for respect for women.

In my story, I want to play off this desperate character, and bring in some magic. Shurpanakha puts Rama under a spell. This spell will later develop into the plot of the story. There will be a magical place for these two characters. However, the twist in this story will be a lesson for all girls. I want this character to really project what low self-respect means. I want there to be scenes of magic and hurt. However, I don’t want to lose the concept of desperation in my story.

I liked the dramatic imagery of Shurpanakha’s body parts being cut off to represent her external beauty decreasing. Being beautiful on the outside is still such a hot topic in our society to this day. I feel like I can portray the concept of internal beauty through my story. I believe the idea of what is considered beautiful is universal. I want to play off what the world feels is beautiful through Shurpanakha’s character. Personification will be used with nature to show beauty.

Rama is still going to be a character, but he will not be seen as the main character in my story because I want my story to be focused on the female character, and topics most women are faced with. I think this original story of Ravana’s sister shows certain issues females still face in our society in a more dramatic way. I hope to make this even more dramatic, and show real life topics and concerns with my unique touch. 

Bibliography: Narayan's Ramayana, Reading Guide B

No comments:

Post a Comment