Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Sita, Part A

Sitas Exile by Raja Ravi Varma (1848 - 1906).jpg 
Sita
Picture by Raja Ravi Varma
Source: Wikipedia

For this post, I decided to read Sita. Love at first sight is a concept, we’ve all heard about, or have even experienced. However, the story of Sita and Rama seems to show how intense this concept is. They take love at first sight to a whole new level. I enjoyed reading the dramatic scenes of the story. However, I want to make my story more dramatic and suspenseful.

After reading about their story, I want to add my own touch and make it a little bit more dramatic by adding in another character named Ria. I feel this additional character will cause some issues between Sita and Rama. Instead of the bow being bent by Rama, Ria and Sita will be asked to perform some sort of task. There will be a certain task with some rules, and the plot will develop from this concept.

After trying to understand how Rama and Sita feel about each other, I decided to make my story connect with my audience through the different events between the characters. I want to share how Ria, Sita, and Rama feel about each other. My story will also include more places for the story to develop and bring in imagery and symbolism. I want to use a traditional Indian dish as the symbol instead of the bow for the task.

My overall goal for this story is to have the girls take charge. I feel this will be a surprise element instead of the stereotypical plot where the male character is seen as the “hero.” However, Rama is still the king—one everyone admires. I hope to make my story stand out by keeping the characters the same, but with different twists, turns, and tasks! I am going to have fun with this dramatic concept, but still keep the love story alive between Sita and Rama.

Bibliography: Narayan's Ramayana, Reading Guide A

No comments:

Post a Comment